Monday, May 10, 2010

Busy Bit-O-Earth


Have you ever been so busy
that you don't know which end is up?

That's what its doing here at my bit-o-earth!


The chicken coop is finally done!
and the younger girls seem to like it


But the two older girls, (Hana and Putt-Putt)
get to wander around the yard.


I have to admit I'm pretty much of a softie with these two.
Since they were the only survivors of the dog attack,
they've enjoyed special treatment.

Everyone in the family is attached to them,
and their antics never fail to bring a smile,
or an all-out laugh!

Sometimes we have to race them to the back door
to get inside and shut the door before they get there...

I guess they haven't forgotten where they were raised,
or maybe they think their human!

(Hana does have a full leg here... she's just resting on it)


The garden is in full swing...

Peas for stir-fry

Baby Leeks

Corn
My Grandpa used to say that corn should be
"knee high by the 4th of July."
I think we're right on track here!


The tomato plants have reached the rafters of the greenhouse
where the garden chandelier hangs,
and we should have ripe tomatoes within a month
Yipeeee!
And my newest experiment,
the Topsy Turvy Tomato grower is doing great!
I may even get a few more of them.

The Bean Tipi has baby beans sprouting around the bottom.
In a few months the walls will grow
and hopefully fill the tipi with all colors of hanging beans!

Chamomile is ready to pick and dry for winter tea

California Poppies

and purple Flags


My favorite flower...
the Roses are in full bloom
I can't resist bringing in vases full of them!

So that's my spring so far...

How's yours?

9 comments:

  1. Your Spring is looking lovely! Those roses! WOW! No wonder you're busy, that garden looks terrific. I can't believe how big the chicks are now and their coop is great. Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with my allergies and have not been able to set one foot in the garden. I can't wait till everything settles! Anyway, I've left something for you at my Caravan. Please stop by and get it :0) Have a great week! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my spring does not look anywhere near as lovely as yours! How cute is that hen house? Any little chick would be proud to live in it ~ you are a good mamma! :) Your flowers are beautiful ~ wish I could haved a sniff!

    Have a wonderful day Vicki!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vegetable garden looks great Vicki! No wonder you are busy! Hana & Putt-Putt are so cute! I love their colors! Cutie little ones too, and such a nice coop, I'm sure they love it too. :) Such lovely roses, beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Roses! Dirt! Corn planted! Sigh.

    We moved into our new home two years ago and have been seriously focused inside. Although there's still a lot to do inside - it's time to focus out. My husband is almost done with the stone wall and then, I might get some DIRT. Whippee! I can't tell if seeing other's gardens makes me be inspired, jealous or panicked at this point. Your roses - they build anticipation. Beautiful!

    Congratulations on your award!

    Love, Katy Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garden is so green and lush.
    Roses already... how beautiful.
    We're at least a month behind you here but what fun to watch everything grow as we catch up.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki...everything in your bit-o-earth looks just perfect!!! The chicks are growing...and your roses are just perfect, I can almost smell them from here ha ha!!! Brrr it's cold here today...our first really cold day...a sign of what's to come...Enjoy your beautiful Spring...Lots of Love from Down Under, Dzintra♥x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is doing wonderful! We made new raised beds this year and our plants are all growing. I am hoping to have tomatoes by the middle of July with my Early Girls....

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, what a beautiful springtime at your house!! I LOVE those sweet chickens... your garden looks so NICE! Happy Gardening! xoxo

    ReplyDelete